Saturday, January 24, 2009

You got what for your birthday?!?!?!?

You know when your going in a dozen different directions and all the kids are talking to you at the same time...your half listening....and the common response is "uh huh....wow....., that's ________" Fill in the blank with either terrible, awful, cool, wonderful, etc. Most of the time we pick up on the important parts, right??


This was one of those moments....the conversation went something like this....


Part 1 (I think it was Monday....)


Jake: Mom blah blah blah from my class blah blah blah, chicken pox....


Me: Really, that's terrible


Part 2 (Wednesday, also being his birthday)


Jake: Mom, I have something itching me all over my back!


Mom: After spying red dots, slightly "bite" looking...Jake, when was the last time you changed your sheets???

Jake: I dunno??


Mom: Jacob, change the sheets today when you come home from school.

Part 3 (Thursday)

Jacob: Mom, these spots are REALLY itching me....I think I have more??

Mom: Come here, pull your shirt up. Holy Cow!!!

Right about now my memory card kicked in and I started recalling the first conversation!

Mom: Jacob, did you say somebody had the chicken pox in your class???

Jacob: Yes, I told you that on Monday!

Mom: I am calling the school?!?

Mom: Hi, this is Heather...I was wondering if you have had any reported cases of THE CHICKEN POX?!?!?


Health Room Asst: Yes, two cases in the fifth grade.


Mom: Can you briefly describe what they look like? Uh, huh......ok...well can you add ONE MORE TO YOUR LIST!!!

Jacob: What??? Am I going to be OK???? now in a total panic! He freaks a little bit....

Mom: Your going to be fine....just don't itch yourself!

Jacob: But they itch!!!!


That would be the worst birthday present I think this year! Almost as bad as when my mother in law brought Pink Eye to Lily's first birthday! That was great!!!

Look, you can even see one in this birthday picture!!



I would just like to add that I really do listen to my kids when they are talking to me...especially when we are spending time together one on one and when we talk at the end of the night.

No comments: