Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's Official...my childhood, whack...

Over the weekend we had an extension of the holiday when my uncle - my FAVORITE uncle, and his daughter, my cousin came to visit. Along with him, two of his oldest childhood friends and their wives...who were new to the grouping came for dinner. After their visit, and all the great stories from the past that left us in stitches....my sides hurt from laughing so hard! It made me realize a few things...besides the fact that my childhood was pretty great, it was totally whack and not normal!!! All the while though, I thought it was....

Between my mother being a single mom before it was "the norm", spending weekends with my two sets of grandparents (both VERY different...one would take me to the theater and one would fill my swimming pool with minnos and soft crabs...), and my uncle (who had a bright red Afro...I loved it) and his friends being ever present in my youth, I am surprised I made it out alive! My mother always says "you survived!!!....." I remind her that it is survival of the fittest out here!

I am not kidding you! The stories that I have under my belt are all true and all a little crazy!! We joke about this at the shop, when situations arise we always say "there is a story behind that...and there always is..." I was reminded of this tonight when I was reading this hysterical blog post....which reminded me of a story....a personal one...I am sure you will get a chuckle, so I will share....when I was younger we had horses, and we also had large boxwood bushes which sparrows apparently like to make a nest in....not a scientific statement just an observation! So, one night on the way back from the barn we were walking past one of the larger boxwood bushes when a small sparrow flew out and flew RIGHT INTO MY MOTHERS HAIR!!! I am not lying...right into her hair! My mother went ballistic...she was freaking out!! Between the screaming, laughing and all the in between I am pretty sure I peed my pants! I also am pretty sure that I was scarred for life, SCARRED!! I am NOT a fan of those fine feathered friends. I also like the bird decor...but not the real thing.

Here are just a few that top the list...I will expand on them some day.

1. Fell out of a moving car...mother kept driving. Swears she was in shock!
2. My mother tried to bring one of our horses INSIDE THE HOUSE because she felt it was too cold outside!
3. Had a Praying Mantis pod/nest hatch on the radiator in my room, woke up COVERED in them!
4. My childhood home kitchen being totally decorated with Crayon drawings by my mothers friends.
5. Read some previous post's on the Christmas tree experiences.
6. Of course the bird in the hair...
There are so many more....

Now, I don't know about you...but I notice that some of the funniest memories are the result of personal injury, trauma or drama (mental or physical). Either mine or somebody else's.... I am not sure that is normal???? I also feel that this has led to my slightly sarcastic sense of humor...

No comments: