Friday, December 26, 2008

Post Holiday Post..kinda long....

I am so happy to report a Wonderful holiday was had by all in our house!! There was a brief scare on Christmas Eve that the Princess and I would be spending Christmas in the hospital. Ironic that it is usually The Brawn and I in there together, I was soooo worried about him getting the darn stomach bug before Christmas, and who ended up getting it....The Princess!! My poor little Princess lost 4lbs, had two trips to the ER, then two trips to the Doctors, all during her 7 day bought with the stomach bug. After two hours in the Doctors on Christmas Eve, I was literally praying for one p-pee diaper and no throw up before 8 o'clock PM! The stress got to me a little and I had a meltdown that only George Bailey would be proud of and freaked out on my kids a bit.....I regretted it!! They understood.... The day was saved around 6:30 PM. Thank you! See, a Christmas Miracle comes in all forms...lol. After that we could all breath a little easier...she wasn't 100% but we knew we would be coming out of the woods very soon!
We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner....Cream of Crab Soup, Perogies (homemade...YUM! not by me, but by some cute little Ukrainian women who know what they are doing!) and Salad! All Delicious!





After dinner we had Cocoa, Popcorn and watched Fred Claus before bed.




Santa came....it was Grand....




As part of my "Handmade/Homemade Holiday"...I refused to buy any new wrapping paper, ribbon or tags. I used only things on hand...either new, recycled or re purposed. I was slightly shocked and scared at how much I had on hand! The kids also did the same for all of their wrapping.
Some of my supplies included:
For Inside the boxes: Newspaper, wax paper, paper bags, scrapbooking papers all shredded with my paper shredder. Shredded fabric also a great option...didn't use this one this year...maybe next!
Wrapping & Packaging:
* Lots of the same
* Chinese take-out boxes.
* Comics
* Toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls
Decorating:
* Ribbon
* Yarn Pom-Poms
* Raffia & Twine
* Old Lace...this was especially pretty with a sparkly chipboard letter and some vintage buttons strung on a piece of sheer ribbon. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of it before giving it to my mom!
Wrapping is one of my favorite parts anyway so I could go on and on....! I even used a really pretty white milk glass dish that I had picked up at an antique store for Cookies to give to a friend.
This was one of my favorites...they were a set of Basketball tickets for my husband. He was completely surprised...it is a sold out game and he had no idea that I was trying to get them for him. I used the sports section, shredded some with my paper shredder, stuffed them underneath and wrapped them up inside the Sunday Sports section! The tissue paper underneath in this picture and the box I wrapped in....new, but unused as of yet. Apparently I like to save, not use.....










They exchanged their handmade gifts with each other at Christmas Dinner. That was a really special moment, to see them each give to one another truly from their heart. The Brain wrote poems for his brother and sisters, The Beauty made blankets, scarves and ditty bags for each of them, The Brawn made beaded bracelets and necklaces. We also allowed them to buy one thing for each sibling...it was sweet to see them pick something out for one another. I took them each shopping individually for those, so they even got some one on one time with Mom!!

Christmas dinner was excellent! Roast Beef, (or Beast as The Brain called it all day) Steamed Shrimp, Salad, Scalloped potatoes, Green Beans...




And for Dessert....Red Velvet cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Coconut...YUM!!!



Now...I said it was an uneventful Christmas day, HOWEVER....see that lovely wreath with my yummy cake??? Well, it caught ON FIRE!!!! Yes, FLAMES....FLAMES SHOOTING UP FROM THE WREATH!!! I am not kidding. The only thing that saved us from the Fire Dept. was that The Brawn saw it as we were clearing the table. CRAZY!!!! All was fine after we put it out....my vintage table cloth....not so fine!

I woke up today after having a full nights sleep - I qualify a full nights sleep as being over four hours - and had so many ideas and thoughts going through my head that I didn't even need a cup of coffee to get me going today! I can't wait to share with you some of my upcoming projects!! I hope that you had a Wonderful Holiday ~ and that your New Year's is AWESOME!!!

No comments: